Most people crave for something sweet to eat after a meal. They reach out for that piece of mithai or chocolate and later feel guilty for adding empty calories to their bodies.
Here’s a simple recipe for a healthy bite that can satisfy your sweet cravings while providing you with essential minerals and oxidants as well.
400 gms jaggery
50 gms pumpkin seeds
50 gms watermelon seeds
50 gms til seeds
100 gms almonds
2 tsps. saunf
1 tsp. jeera
1 tsp. ghee
Roast the pumkin, watermelon and til seeds lightly. Now crush all the seeds and almonds coarsely. Grate the jaggery.
Heat a thick bottomed pan. Add the ghee and jaggery. Cook on slow heat, stirring continuously till the jaggery melts. Now add the dry ingredients. Switch off the gas. Mix well. Grease a flat plate and pour the mixture onto it. Level it out with a rolling pin to a one inch thickness. Let it set and then cut into pieces.
Enjoy the sweet bite while getting the following health benefits-
- Watermelon seeds are high in protein. They contain an amino acid Arginine which helps in regulating blood pressure and treating coronary heart disease. They also contain Niacine which helps in maintaining the nervous system and the digestive system, and magnesium which helps in the metabolism of carbohydrates.
- Pumpkin seeds are a nutritional powerhouse containing magnesium, copper, zinc and antioxidants. These benefit your heart, liver and immune system.
- Til or sesame seeds contain a substantial amount of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and manganese. These benefit your heart and lower cholesterol.
- Almonds are loaded with antioxidants, fibre, protein, magnesium and Vitamin E.
- Jaggery acts as a detox and helps cleanse the liver by flushing out toxins from the body.